Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
In this guide you will find information about e-books available at the National and University library. E-books are available in most subject fields and can be particularly useful for students and researchers at the University of Iceland.
New e-resources at the library
E-book services can include books that aren´t licensed to the National and University Library of Iceland. Many offer the option to limit searches to licensed materials only.
How to use e-books - General information
E-books are acquired primarily for students and staff at the University of Iceland. You can search for e-books like any other books, in the library catalogue leitir.is To access the e-books you either have to be in the library or be connected to the University network. You can also access e-books and other e-resources when off campus via remote connection (VPN).
If you are a walk-in customer, you can access the e-resources at the library premises either by using the computers reserved for visitors on the 2nd floor or on your own laptop via a wireless connection. The customer service desk staff can assist you and provide you with a temporary connection.
Most of the National and University Library´s e-books can be read via the internet without a separate device or programe.
Most of the e-books
- Can be found in the library catalogue leitir.is
- Can be read as PDF files or HTML pages or with Adobe Digital Edition
- Can be used both through the library´s and the University of Iceland network as well as from home with a VPN connection
In some cases e-book services and/or publishers require a username and password when downloading a book or to enable personalization. Then you have to register an ID with the service or publisher.
- browse and search through the e-books
- print and save sections of an e-book for your personal use for study, teaching or research purposes
- incorporate links to e-books in electronic course materials used in teaching at the University of Iceland
You may not
- use an e-book or parts of it for commercial purposes
- distribute, sell or modify an e-book, or make derivative works of it
- systematically download e-books by robots or other automatic processes